Yes, the tower does lean. It is a free-standing building at one end of a cathedral.
There is a really neat smaller building at the other end.Pisa was not a favourite place; too many tourists and the accompanying guys selling all sorts of knock-off junk. We saw the same guys (I think) in Venice, Pisa and Verona. And the same junk.
Lucca, on the other hand, is a gem. An amazing old town centre surrounded by high earthwork fortifications with a series of about 8 gates in. Somewhat like a larger Halifax Citadel. Inside the fortifications there is a whole old town with churches and towers and plazas and people living and doing stuff. And a lovely botanical garden.This is one of the main churches. It is very large, ornate and beautiful with all the marble.
About 4 or 5 blocks away there is another equally large and ornate. Between the two, there are another two small churches that have lovely decorative work. What is with all the churches? Did each major family have its own church? Is this another ego thing like the towers? Can anyone fill me in on this?

Speaking of towers, there is a fine clock tower in town and it is open to the public for a minimal fee. For a slightly larger fee, you can climb the tower.
Here is Penny emerging from the tower climb. I stayed on the ground and waited to take the picture.
Staying with the tower topic, Lucca had many family towers at one time, but only one remains. It is pretty weird as there are large trees growing at the top.Kinda cool, but all that is left of the ancient ego trip.
On a lesser plane, this is a gate within the fortified walls. Maybe the town was expanded from here at some time. The interesting thing is the laundry and open window. People are living in this gate tower!!!We loved Lucca.
1 comment:
I always thought the leaning tower of Pisa was built that way on purpose, for Gallileo to do his gravitational experiments. Boy was I wrong, as confirmed today by Wikipedia. I really know nothing about other cultures. Not that I understand this one either...
- Andrew
Post a Comment