Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dammed ice

No, the title is not a typographical error (in case anyone is interested in what "typo" is short for). We have some kind of ice dam in the front eavestrough, happens every few years, and now there is water dripping inside the living room window. Wonderful! So up on the ladder with a hammer and cold chisel (yeah, I know; if it wasn't cold before, it sure is now) to whack, break and dig out. Got about 4 feet done, maybe 10 to 12 feet more to go. Looks like the problem is the eavestrough itself. I think there should be a slope encouraging the water toward one end. Must get this all looked at when the weather is warm and sunny and we have nothing to remind us of the winter drips.

On a more chearful note or two, we are out to dinner at Lemon Bistro tonight with some good friends. As the place only seats about 20, the six of us will take over. I promise to be suitably rowdy.



And then there is the kitchen garden. The amaryllis has joined the orchid in blooming. Only two flowers, but a wonderful gaudy red.



Oh, yeah, I found one reasonable photo of Leonard at this birthday party at Antico Martini. Now 92 and still making his points clearly. I just love the attentiveness of the waiter!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

... not to say obsequiousness! That's a great photo.

I like the new background colour on your blog. Very spring-like. Keep thinking positively. I hope we don't get that cold snap. Things have been pleasantly mild here since the weekend.

- Andrew