Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Of harps and vibes

So, the vibraphone belonged to Peter Appleyard. Pretty cool!

The harp is beautiful, but also a mechanical marvel. There are 9 pedals at the bottom arranged to be accessable by the harpist - pointing sorta towards the seated player, at the end opposite the main column. Clear?

The main column looks as though it is massive to support the pull of all those stretched strings.

Wrong again. It is hollow to allow all the little steel rods connected to the pedals (remember them from the previous paragraph?) to pull on little discs in the overhead piece, where all the little tuning knobs are. This is how sharps and flats are made. Each rod must be attached to a set of strings - such as all the A's. A harp has no black keys, only white keys.

There, you have enough information to work it all out for yourself.

The only remaining piece is to put in a couple of pictures. Actually, the same picture with different sizing. With any luck, you should, Dear Reader, be able to get all the detail you desire.


1 comment:

Andrew said...

Pedals! Of course! I knew there must be something like that going on, but I could never discern it in any of Harpo's harp scenes. Same principle as a pedal steel guitar. Or an autoharp, for that matter. That one should have given it away. I guess I thought the "auto" referred to the different chords realized by pressing different buttons.

- Andrew