So, Christmas Day was more unusual than ever this year. The picture shows the moment, but does not explain how or why I am in a hospital room with all the accoutrements. The picture was taken December 25th, 2006, but I am now (December 27th) at home and inflicting this on y'all."What is going on?", you ask. Well, the story is not that long, somewhat convoluted, and an emotional roller coaster that continues. To explain: I had a routine medical test scheduled for mid-December - a colonoscopy - set up many months prior. More on this later. Anyway, the "routine" test turned out to be anything but routine and resulted in my undergoing bowel surgery December 21st with an expected hospital stay of 5 to 8 days. The early diagnosis was a serious colon cancer, but that is now on hold as the operation went very well and found something less than expected. Lab results will not be back until next week sometime, but the expectations have improved considerably.
The doctors are not certain what they found. A very good buddy opined it was probably the burr I have had up my ass these past many years. Not a bad guess (or observation).
On the colonoscopy front, Penny had this test done over a year ago and has had some bowel problems ever since. The concept of the test is disgusting (Are we there yet? ARE we there yet? Are we THERE yet?) and rather invasive (In some states we would be legally married by now, doc.). I came very close to cancelling my test. DO NOT DO THIS. Have this test done on the regular 10 year or so basis. Not all doctors recommend or request the test. Talk to your doctor.
Penny's father will be here tomorrow, Andrew and Alison are already here (all this planned as Christmas visits before we changed plans), and we will have a family Christmas then. For now, I am just taking it easy, walking short distances and healing quickly.
Enjoy the winter solstice celebration. Penny and I both are!!!
4 comments:
Hey Rick - you look quite festive in your red and green outfit ! Glad to hear you are home. We will be over to see you one of these days soon.
marn & gord
Great hat Rick. Don't I recognize it from New Years? Glad you are up and about. I think your sense of the absurd in life will carry you a long way Life is too short or too long as the case may be to be serious! Hope to see you soon Love Marilen
Great hat Rick. Don't I recognize it from New Years? Glad you are up and about. I think your sense of the absurd in life will carry you a long way Life is too short or too long as the case may be to be serious! Hope to see you soon Love Marilen
Hey Rick,
You really look good in your elf suit. In Montreal, we wear blue hospital gowns, I guess it goes with the PQ!!!! colours. Never thought of it this way. Get better soon, take it easy and try to be nice...
BBB as always
Post a Comment