Thursday, July 13, 2006

Italy 2006 - the start


We left Toronto May 1st and arrived in Venice at Marco Polo airport May 2nd. With minimal confusion, we got the water bus from the airport to Arsenale, two stops before the main tourist focus - San Marco. The first pictures of bridges over small, neighbourhood canals happened to include our hotel, though we didn't know that then.






The hotel is on Via Garibaldi, a wide street that leads back into residential areas. The shops and restaurants are visited more by residents than tourists, and as we walked into the smaller canal areas, the tourist focus became less and less. People live here, kids play here and that is all clearly evident. Our first stroll in Venice was down these back lanes, a wonderful introduction.


































After a snack and a rest, we ventured into the main tourist stream by walking to San Marco square past the Bridge of Sighs and the Doge's Palace. Thank goodness it is early May. The crowds are already pretty thick and will get thicker all summer.



















The sights are amazing. With every step the viewpoint changes and new details come into focus. Venice, the underlying resons for our entire trip, is an astonishing place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a test comment to see how this works.

DoD (anonymously)

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool. Are you sure you guys did this yourself?

EJ said...

Yeah guys! Nice to see some of your Italy pics. I think I've only seen a couple of them. Looking forward to continuing on the journey.

St. Louis Family said...

Yay! Will you be regular bloggers or just trip bloggers?
Dana

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Penny and Rick!
Michael and I were in Tuscany with his folks, and many of your pics bring back great memories
And Venice, ah I was there when I turned 20 and there when I turned 40
60?
Great blog, great idea!
love Marcella